then why do i always dream of you."
the quality isn’t too great, but you get the gist… pretty plain and simple basically.
minimalist website to organise the cluttered typefaces that it’s going to hold…
To create a website concept from a complex entity and take it right down to it’s bare bones.
following on from the exploration of maps, my website is dedicated to the combination of routes, treasure hunts, signage and illustration - i’ve titled it ‘A TO B VIA Z.’
the aim is to document a journey by completing an a-z typeface of a town or city, using an illustraion/mark-making technique that utilises the area in which a letter has been found.
I’m particularly interested in the way that maps are renowned for their factual analysis of various locations. however, i don’t think you can get any more factual than documenting a journey using real elements from within a specific area.
by creating this alphabet treasure hunt, i’ll finally be able to give a route-time estimate for how long it takes to do the a-z of winchester, or how far it is from a to b in southampton!
this is an ongoing project which could continue documenting the A TO B VIA Z routes of a number of places, uk-wide and maybe even worldwide.
my website idea will actively encourage visitors of the site to participate in documenting a journey of their own whilst creating a unique and visually interesting typeface, to help enhance the collection.
i’ve already completed two routes myself. one in winchester and one in southampton. they took a fair bit of time but the results are pretty interesting. i’ll upload them shortly, along with a few shots of my website.
woah, essay alert.
i’ve started putting together some drafts after scanning my various photomontage illustrations. As the images are quite complex themselves I’ve tried to simplify the background and type.
wowzers, it’s been a while, tumblr!
first brief of the second year has been given - pitch an idea with four billboard designs for a company, whilst relating it to the summer project <where i looked at the word process, drawing on the idea of evolution>. I picked nike out of the lucky dip of companies.
my idea has been based around the evolution of the brand and how it has developed, taking the best parts with it, like the natural selection process! as nike promote a lot of their sportswear and equipment through their sponsored sport stars, i wanted to try and create the ultimate… taking parts from all of the best stars that are and have been sponsored by nike throughout the years, since the brands inception.
I made these photomontages to represent the thoughts of evolving super-humans! i made them from prints that were sized differently, but it makes them more eye-catching and interesting - which i guess is good for a billboard as it generates intrigue and a second glance.
Following some research, I decided to start trying to put some images together for my book project, based on travelling. Although I wasn’t overly taken with a photomontage brief that we had set at the beginning of the first semester I’ve since become really keen on it, so had a play around with a bunch of pictures and collections. I’ve got about 30 in my sketchbook now… they aren’t anywhere near finished, but I’ve really enjoyed working at such a fast pace over the last few days and with only a limited amount of materials from my travel collections - it’s given me some really interesting results.
My god… I’ve wasted so much time in my loft! Have been rooting through my travelling boxes and keep finding all my random collections! Had a bit of an obsession with these Guinness beer mats whilst working in Auckland. Shame the Guinness didn’t travel so well and tasted like the smell of sweaty hands holding copper pennies… if anyone knows what I mean by that!
I’ve been doing plenty of research over the last couple of days into our latest brief, which is to design a book based on the word transition.
I really want to find a way to base my idea on my travelling experiences; how it has changed me and how I had to adapt to different cultural environments along the way. Throughout my year away I collected so many postcards, leaflets, tickets and much more. I also recorded my thoughts in written diaries over the time I was away, so I’ve got plenty of material at my disposal.
Above are a few religious cards I picked up in China. I thought I’d make a few sets of collected things first and then start to put together some collage/photomontage work…
Here is my poster advertising the three cubes of emotion that I did a few weeks back, for our ‘packaging an emotion’ brief. As all of my cubes varied in style, I decided to use all the techniques that I used in making them, to create the poster.
I felt that the poster didn’t need to give too much away about the emotions that I covered in my cubes. I created it as if I had a whole exhibition of different cubes on show, therefore didn’t link it to one in particular. The colours I have used are all from the emotional colour wheel, and the image is made up from a cube I made with square pieces of paper that were stuck down with blu-tac, to give a three dimensional look, once scanned. This was important to show the transition from 2D to 3D and vice versa.
I have used a simple typeface and placed it on an angle, to represent the diagonals when viewing cubes from a different viewpoint. I guess it was kind of rushed as my cubes took the majority of time to make, but I’m pretty happy with the outcome. The quality on here is a bit poor though, but never mind! For some reason the second version is tiny as well… but you get the gist!